When I was little, I loved the taste of corn dogs. I begged my parents to buy me one each time we went to the fair and often talked them into getting a box of frozen ones at the grocery store. On top of that, I love to cook, so I decided to make my own.
Unfortunately, corn dogs are not healthy or easy to make because they require a deep fryer and sticks that are essential for the perfect corn dog. As a stubborn pre-teen, I was not to be deterred. I decided to improvise.
On the night that it was my turn to cook—my parents often let me exchange a night of cooking dinner for disgusting and monotonous chores like cleaning the yard and the dishes—I took out one of my mom’s cookbooks and I found the perfect recipe for the delicious wrapping that surrounds the hot dogs: a cornbread recipe.
The only thing that I changed was the addition of hot dogs. The cornbread recipe is one of the best that I’ve ever tasted and that isn’t an exaggeration. I love it. After the first time I made it, cornbread and hot dogs became a family favorite. I’ve gotten both friends and their family members hooked on it, and I fully intend to pass it on to my children. The best way to cook this is in a large cast iron pan, but if you don’t have one then a glass bowl will work.
- 1 package hot dogs, sliced
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Open the package of hot dogs and cut each one into small round slices of desired thickness. Place on a plate and microwave for two minutes, then preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, corn meal, baking powder, sugar and salt. Set aside. In another bowl, mix together the milk, oil and eggs. Once the liquid mixture is uniform, add it to the flour mixture and fold them together to form the cornbread batter. Set aside.
- Butter or oil the pan that you’ll be cooking with. I prefer to use butter because it gives the cornbread a really amazing flavor that I love. Take the hot dogs out of the microwave and place them around the inside of the pan, covering the bottom. You’ll have quite a few left, which is fine, because those will be used after you pour in the cornbread mixture. Coat the bottom of the pan with the batter, covering the hot dogs. After smoothing it out, place the remaining hot dog slices on top of the batter, creating a third layer.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. After removing it from the oven, melt one tablespoon of butter over the top. Let cool slightly and then serve. Best served with ketchup or mustard.